Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Bee's Knees of Winter Riding.



We don't have much for elevation here in the Midwest. What we do have is wind and snow. When the two mix it isn't much fun but with out it, it wouldn't be the same.

I do like the freshly fallen powder snow, especially when I sail through it on my single speed set up. This weekend I had plans to go mountain biking on trails in Palos but when I woke up to see a nice blanket of snow on the ground below, I scratched that idea because I do not know those trails well enough. What I do know is the Centennial Trail to the Waterfall Glen snow ride loop that Gary and I found last year.



The C trail is paved. This makes for smooth sailing. Although cadence in the snow on a single speed bike is about 60-70rpm with a 38x18. After crossing Lemont Rd. you start a short climb into Waterfall Glen, the back way. This leads you up to the air plane hill which has a switchback descent. The trail ends with a steep climb up the hidden hill and ends on little Bluff Rd.



From my house the route is only 30 miles but well worth the solid tempo pace, having to work for it the entire time.

No comments: